Only The Strong Survive!

Date Posted: April 10, 2012 |

Inside Detroit’s Mildred Gaddis, radio discussion with Greg Dunmore of Pulsebeat.tv and JazzJewels.tv
Hot Topics: Jerry Butler, Magic and Bird
Pulsebeat Concert Series and other hot haps.

Follow Us!Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Featured Image
Post Tags

Leave Comment

80 Comments on Only The Strong Survive! / Comments are closed.

• Donald Buckner says:
    April 17, 2012 at 3:59 am

Wow! You two have really outdone yourselves with this one! “You are something else.” (In my Kevin Hart Voice). The Rhythm&Blues style of music has been something that has empowered and influenced people around the world; From the local night clubs of cities like Detroit to the International Scenes of places like Japan and Europe. It warms my heart to hear the mentioning of this art form as it seems to have gotten lost of among the Hip-Hop and Pop culture of music that America embraces today. It seems like so many good artists have gotten lost in history, but so many have stood the testament of time: Such as Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, El Debarge, Earth, Wind & Fire, the Isley Brothers, the Ojays, The Ohio players, and many more. In fact, in an indirect way, R&B is very prominent in the music scene today. Don’t get me wrong, there are still R&B artists; yet, R&B can be found in the “Beats” and Musical style of Hip-Hop today. People allude to some R&B Music as “old”; but, what they fail to realize is that old style has been integrated into the Hip-Hop form of music and many other forms they listen to today. R&B not only influenced it’s audience, but the arts forms of music all around it. Also, Mr. Dunmore please do me a favor and keep updated on Jerry Butler’s performance and his appearance in the pulsebeat series; I would love to see him and the various acts perform. Call me an “old soul”, but I eat, sleep and breathe this kind of music and as long as I live, I will do my best, through my musical talent, to never let in die. Lastly, I didn’t know Mr. Butler was in a group with Curtis Mayfield; He is one of my favorite artists. I really like the bass line to his song pusherman. Anyway, Keep it up guys!

• Trayvon Gaines says:
    April 17, 2012 at 10:46 pm

This video was absolutely outsanding, it truley showed me how important African American Singers are. Its nice to see how much the black race has influenced the worldas a whole. It amazed me though to realize that i had never heard of Jerry Butler before this video, but im glad i did, his music is very interesting.

• Paris Hogan says:
    April 18, 2012 at 2:55 am

This was a video that of course spoke about music. I am a very big fan of El Debarge and I hope he’s doing well. The new movies that were talked about are sure to be blockbusters, because they are definitely star studded if nothing else.

• Gabrielle Ezell says:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:25 am

This video was very entertaining. It showed me how much the music business really takes a toll on a muscian. I do wish the the best for El Debarge because he is one of my personal favorites. Also, I liked how it highlighted all the old R&B artist, considering that I was raised on the music of The Gap Band, Micheal Jackson, The Whispers, Stevie Wonder, and others, I could really relate. I didn’t hear anything about Jerry Bulter until now, but I’m glad I did. Great video once again, keep up the good work.

• Francine Barksdale says:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:40 am

Great video!! Ms. Gaddis and you made a point that people really do not understand celebrities are human beings and they make mistakes after all they are human beings. Sometimes we do not understand how stressful it is to have everyone want you. Overall great job keep it up.

• Tiara Jones says:
    April 19, 2012 at 2:39 am

This was very informative as well as entertaining. It is great to see how much of an influence that African Americans have on the music world.

• Dezha Dial says:
    April 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

The video was very well put together. You continously make fascinating videos. The video was overall good.

• Sidney O'Neal says:
    April 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm

This was an amazing video. Thank you for the enlightenment.

• Demetria Davis says:
    April 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

This video is absolutley wonderful! Music has such an impact on society today. I believe music should have a good meaning to it, in other words music should be real and not all that cruption that occurs in music industry today. Mostly all old school sound attend to have a good meaning and real!

• Bodrul Islam says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I really enjoyed this video! There are so many things I was unfamiliar with before I watched this video. Some of these artists I never even heard about but I heard their music from television.

• Paige Stiger says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

This video was very interesting, and i am in love with music and the way you guys dig deeper into various different artists is amazing.

• Mercedes Love says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

This video is wonderful! It shows me that African Americans have a huge impact on music as a whole. I love this video. You should continue to do your talk shows

• Bridgette B. says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm

The video really acknowledge some things that I didnt know about the music background. The Rhythm & Blues style of music has been something that has really moved and influenced people around the world.

• Adea Davis says:
    April 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I learned alot from this video.

• Ah-Janai Hudson says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:26 pm

This was such an amazing video! I never realized that musicians had to deal with so many different things. Music should always have a meaning instead of subliminal messages. The message shown in music should be positive and influential.

• Monique Presberry says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I like to see how much of an influence that African Americans have on the music world. I believe that African American singers have influenced every part of the music world greatly. R&B influences many people, I don’t know if you know, but the rapper Wale’s song “That Way” he sampled Curtis Mayfields song “GIve Me Your Love.”

• Nahida Legu says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

wonderful video. it is amazing to see the inspiration and influence African American’s had and continue to have in the entertainment industry. I love how you incorporate famous celebrities that people know and also the ones people dont know in order to establish a more powerful quota and help get these people the recognition they deserve.

• Christopher Jones says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Amazing Video, Keep ’em coming !

• Juwan Outlaw says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:02 am

The Magic & Bird Broadway play should be something amazing especially since they had one of the greatest NBA Rivals in history….

• Michael Ri'chard says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:29 am

This video was very inspirational and uplifting video. The music was wonderful and music truly has a big impact on society. It can touch a person’s soul and create good vibes. I also like how you and Ms. Gaddis give bio’s on the celebrities you interview.

• Alexis Nixon says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:42 am

This video was very good i like how much information i got out of this video human beings and they make mistakes after all they are human beings all the old R&B artist, considering that I was raised on the music of The Gap Band, Micheal Jackson, The Whispers, Stevie Wonder, and others, I could really see what you guys were saying. Keep up the good work

• Imani Coby says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:47 am

As a musician, I am already very aware with the importance of music and how people do not realize the amount of work artists really put into their craft. I really liked this video because it showed that music is really what connects us all. The president of the United States can relate to the same songs that a teacher, doctor, or lawyer can relate to. Music is not only an element of our society that brings us together, it can also be used as a sort of healing for those such as El DeBarge, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston who may be struggling or suffering. Overall, great video, and very enlightening!

• Essence Patterson says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:02 am

Great video, there was some wonderful insight into why some celebrities tend to fall. And as always, I was able to learn some new facts that I was unaware of.

• Jasmine Giles says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:13 am

The video is really nice. It gave me an idea why African American singers are amazing.

• Kendal Cockrel says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:23 am

I don’t listen to that much R & B music but all of the music themed videos seem to be the best. Jerry Butler has an amazing voice and outstanding character. It is very difficult to find talent like that today.

• My'Kina Williams says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:24 am

WOW! What a great video on Jerry Butler. It was amazing to learn who the first guest was to perform on Soul Train. You mentioned many enlightening things that has made an impact on music and today’s society. Great video!!

• TREVON BANKS says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:29 am

Only the strong survive!! I’m feeling it; gives a great look on African American culture.

• Leslie says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:59 am

I really like how in the video it centers around all kinds of music and not just one genre explaining where it came from. This was a very informative video that really gave me good insights in today’s society.

• Zakir Hussain says:
    April 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

Very fascinating. I never knew that R&B was race music but thanks to Jerry Wexler they made the change. Calling such good music race music is very segregated and offensive to the African American community. It is a part of America. I appreciate our president showcasing that. In this video are so many great influences and a positive image. This is such a great alternative the all the filth in main stream media. These are role models we need for the youth. You will become like Ivan III, who named himself czar a Russian version of Caesar. With good influences like that we would have a better community. I really enjoyed the video. These show be displayed in the main stream media.

• Tiffany Hudson says:
    April 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

This video is very good. It enlightened me on music dealing with today’s society.

• Miranda Bonds says:
    April 20, 2012 at 2:33 am

I really enjoyed this video. It was very insightful and interesting.

• Raja-Nee' Irvin says:
    April 20, 2012 at 2:56 am

Music like this does not surprise me. It elaborates on a broad variety of topics, R&B. This music, considered to be “old school”, made a difference in the way you felt. One minute you may be listening to Jerry Butler’s only the stong survive, feeling impowered, then turn on Al Green and start to miss a significant other. And it’s memorable because it has an effect on your behavior.

• Kearta Dailey says:
    April 20, 2012 at 3:25 am

Great video! I really liked the information about how African American singers had such impact on music!

• Noumi Chowdhury says:
    April 20, 2012 at 3:29 am

Jerry Butler is an amazing artist. I am surprised to have never of heard him before. What also surprised me is the moment when our President was singing. I did not know President Obama sang in front of the public before. The artform of Rhythm and Blues I found very interesting. I love the genre! This episode was another wonderful episode!

• Keoni says:
    April 20, 2012 at 4:09 am

This was an amazing video & interesting topic to discuss. The video was very well put together. You continuously make fascinating videos. The video was overall good. This video is absolutely wonderful! Music has such an impact on society today.

• Reggie Ferrell says:
    April 20, 2012 at 4:32 am

Fantastic job Mr. Dunmore and Ms. Gaddis. You two always do a wonderful job at keeping me fascinated throughout the whole video. Keep up the good work!

• Eyevoree' says:
    April 20, 2012 at 5:28 am

This is a nice video. It was nice to see familiar faces in the music industry in the video.

• Antara Afrin =] says:
    April 20, 2012 at 5:41 am

Great video! Learned a lot of history. =)

• David Ayala says:
    April 20, 2012 at 6:57 am

the video was very informative, especially the segment on how drugs effect celebrities.

• Ciara Gerald says:
    April 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

Mr. Dunmore i love your idea that good music is old because to be old you have to be good. R&B is a very influential example of the “good old music.” Because music is a large part of the foundation of society, it is good to have music that doesn’t showcase improper behavior. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of rap, but not of the rap that doesn’t have a positive message. The good rap is part of the “good old music.” This was an amazing and informative video. Thanks for the update.

• C'arra Miller says:
    April 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

This video was absolutely great Gary Butler and many other artist influenced Rhythm and Blues that spreaded across the world.

• Annie Tran says:
    April 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

Wow! Very informative! I’ve never heard about the genre rhythm and blues. Your videos never seize to fascinate me.

• Mia Elzy says:
    April 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

What a very insightful video, Mr. Dunmore. You and Mildred Gaddis always bring something to the table that not many people know about. My family and I were just watching some episodes of Soul Train last week. It was fascinating to know that Jerry Bulter was the very first guest on the show.

• Shahnur Ahmed says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Very interesting and informative!

• Khalyl Sauls says:
    April 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I Remember too. Songs back in the day were so inspirational and actually meant something. you can’t compare today’s music to yesteryears music, it’s is not in the same catagory and clearly the years before were better. Jazz, R&B, and soul music influenced good deeds and up raising teens to be good and to do their best. When life knocked them down songs were telling them to pick yourself up to try again and keep your head up.

• Rhianna Chatfield says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Awesome video! African Americans have really influenced music over the years

• Jade Williams says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

GREAT VIDEO! It was very interesting and well organized I really enjoyed it.

• Kristopher Alexander says:
    April 20, 2012 at 1:50 pm

This is an outstanding video!!! It shows the wear and tear of being a traveling singer. This video was very informative on how African Americans have influence in the music world. Miss Gaddis, also did a good job on describing how all the celebrities are human to. So GOOD job all the way around for this video, Ms. Gaddis, and Mr. Dunmore

• Rondall Murray, Jr. says:
    April 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Great video once again Dunmore.!!!! Continue to do a great job.

• Dejanique Evans says:
    April 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

This video was amazing! I like how you guys connected the artists and their similar situations. Well done.

• Carley Hough says:
    April 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm

the excerpt on Rhythm and blues, heard a lot of facts I didn’t know. Who would’ve known it was called ‘Race Music’ before being call rhythm and blues. I’m very interested in going to see the great Jerry Butler. Dunmore’s quote ‘you don’t get old unless your good’ very true. I thought the review on the drug addictions was touching; I think the truth was definitely told about Whitney. I can’t wait to see the butler!! Magic Bird sounds like a very good play, I find it exciting!

• Aaron Harris says:
    April 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Great video Mr. Dunmore.. keep them coming…

• Victoria Young says:
    April 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I enjoyed this video, its very interesting, i learned a lot of facts I did not know.

• LaJuan Walker says:
    April 22, 2012 at 1:01 am

It is great to see how African Americans have influence music in the world. Also music truly has had a big impact on society.

• Sydney Smith says:
    April 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

This was a great topic! It really went into detail about African American music! Thank you once again for another great episode!

• Justin Lee Wright says:
    April 22, 2012 at 5:34 pm

This video was amazing. How Detroit created such great artists is beyond me seeing where we are now. Rhythm & Blues is the music that has influenced many and has made others have a different perspective on diiferent things in their life. Nice.

• India O. says:
    April 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I really like this video; you can always here about the really popular R&B artist or about the most recent stars, it good to hear more about others.

• Destini says:
    April 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Great Video and very well put together! Looking forward to many more

• Diamond James says:
    April 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm

This video was wonderful and enlightening! I love the music that was played. I appreciated the fact that African Americans have a great deal and influence on music period. It is a joy that we can hear that music and understand that it is from blacks! Gary Butler is a very great person! You guys said some very interesting things that helped me view things in a different light!

• Mi'Isha Cunigan says:
    April 23, 2012 at 12:45 am

Once again, another great and very informative segment on musical influences. Well done!

• Kayla Young says:
    April 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

Great video i loved it!

• Danielle Atkins says:
    April 23, 2012 at 2:15 am

Another great video! I had never heard of Jerry Butler before this video but I am interested now.

• Sharmina Alam says:
    April 23, 2012 at 3:46 am

Amazing segment. I really did learn a lot of new facts. 🙂

• Ciara Page says:
    April 23, 2012 at 4:32 am

Outstanding again! The video pulls out a different perspective from behind the music and Rythms and Blues background. The struggle is something you cant hide from. Dealing with hard times and over coming things take a lot. That is why “only the strong survives”. A lot of strong points were conversed about and hit on a mark! Good opinions from both sides, looking at people situations from different view points. The video was indeed interesting and gave so much more meaning to music and its history. Great Job!

• Dominic Jackson says:
    April 23, 2012 at 9:58 am

Ok in every video there is something I already knew, and then something I learned. Honestly I didn’t know who Jerry Butler was, but i had heard his music before and thought he was a great artist. Side note do you realize that there is always a good group then one leaves and goes solo.

• Aaron Harris says:
    April 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

Great video mr dumnore.. keep the coming

• Camren Watson says:
    April 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Interesting video.. Not my favorite video.. But very intersting.

• Sydney Bowden says:
    April 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Outstanding video once again. The exert about Rhythm and Blues really brings attention to the message behind the music. In life there are many struggles that we go through and we have to just take it one day at a time. Life is a revolving door situations come at you and its what you do to make sure those situations are not presented back to you. Only the strong survive, and once again this was a very entertaining video that brought up great points.

• Desiree Nelson says:
    April 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I think this video was very great. It made some really good points and was very influential.

• Brian Perry Jr says:
    April 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

This is outstanding this makes you think about the real detroit.

• Troia Gulley says:
    April 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm

This was a very interesting video as usual. Anything that has to do with African Americans and how they developed is interesting to me. It had some great things I never knew. YOu always learn about new great artist because they’re are so many.

• Christina says:
    April 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Detroit is known for birthing so many amazing musical geniuses. Thankfully we have people like you to shine the light on artist we may not be familiar with, and enlighten us on different styles of music. Great Video!

• Sarah Washington says:
    April 25, 2012 at 12:32 am

Very good video. Informative and interesting. Keep them coming dunmore.

• Amber Collins says:
    April 25, 2012 at 1:30 am

Nice video. The music from before I was born or even able to walk was some of the best music. I really enjoyed the video.

• Terry Patton says:
    April 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Very great informing video. I always learn something new when I watch your vids.

• Lejia H. says:
    June 7, 2012 at 4:39 am

I love this video its one of the best so far!

• Chriissiie Perine says:
    June 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Mr. Dunmore hasn’t said one false thing ! Everything you said made absolute sense and was completely reasonable ! You taught me so many things i didn’t know ! =]

• Briana Taylor says:
    November 2, 2012 at 1:22 am

Love this video!!

• aaron Wagner says:
    November 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Amazing voice this man has. Detroit really does produce great musicians.

• jeaneka wagner says:
    December 28, 2012 at 3:21 am

It was nice to hear about other people and I like the video